Barbados Museum and Historical Society, Garrison, St Michael
(Other pricing options available at Checkout)
The Garrison Historic Area, also known as St. Ann’s Garrison is located in the capital-city of Bridgetown, approximately 2 miles south of Heroes Square. This area was used as the headquarters and base for members of the West India Regiment, a British military authority in Barbados. One of the most historic events took place in 1751, when George Washington, who was then an aspiring leader for the American Revolution and later became the first president of the United States, stayed beside his sick brother for 6 weeks at the district’s Bush Hill section.
The Garrison Historic Area is also famously known as the ground where the flag lowering ceremony for the Union Flag (UK’s flag) was held on 30th November 1966 followed by the Barbados flag raising ceremony, a symbol to usher in full independence of Barbados from the British. This area should definitely be in your list of places to visit while on a trip to Barbados.
Are you craving a historical military-based adventure in Barbados? Have you ever wondered what military life was like during the colonial period? Then boy have I got a story for you!
I was here to defend this gem of an island and it was nothing like what I would have expected as a soldier. My story is bittersweet, but nonetheless, has to be told. I want to tell you about the prison and the walk of shame I had to endure. About the services offered around the “Savannah” and all the joys that can be drawn from this area despite the hardships that have made it what it is.
Join me by the Barbados Museum and Historical Society for a culturally rich journey into history. On this intriguing walking tour, I will show you the Garrison I lived in. The changes it has undergone. All the while paying homage to me by preserving my legacy.
This tour is ideal for;
- the historian
- the curious visitor
- the casual cruise visitor
- anyone seeking to learn of the rich heritage that this UNESCO World Heritage Site has to offer.
- As an addition to any Barbados vacation packages
What to expect;
- Be transposed back in time.
- Hear the intriguing stories of how the first soldiers lived and worked.
- See the best collection of publicly displayed cannons.
- Hear about that famous visit of George Washington that just might have made an impact on history.
- What do goats and this historic place have in common?
- What about all those historic events that took place here? Let us tell you about them.
- Visit the Barbados Museum and Historical Society.
- Experience comfort and leisure of all this information and more with the aid of audio equipment
- Things to note
- Light snack will be provided.
- You may bring your own headphones however earpieces will be available.
- Comfortable walking shoes, and weather gear, just in case of a few drops of rain, is encouraged.
- Starting Point : Barbados Museum and Historical Society
- Assembly Time: 15 minutes before departure time